When you eat organic food, you are eating healthy non-toxic food. Organic farming is based on the following principles:
- Protecting the environment, minimizing soil degradation and erosion, decreasing pollution, optimizing biological productivity and promoting a sound state of health.- Maintaining long-term soil fertility by optimizing conditions for biological activity within the soil.
- Maintaining biological diversity within the system.
- Recycling materials and resources to the greatest extent possible within the enterprise.
- Providing attentive care that promotes the health and meets the behavioral needs of livestock.
- Preparing organic products, emphasizing careful processing, and handling methods in order to maintain the organic integrity and vital qualities of the products at all stages of production.
- Relying on renewable resources in locally organized agricultural systems.
To learn more about organic farming, click here.
More organic information:
- USDA says 'organic' means 'non-GMO' - to read story click here.
- An open letter from over 800 world scientists to all governments concerning GMOs - to read click here.
click to see larger image
When you don't eat organic food, you are eating food that has been grown using pesticides. Pesticides are designed to kill insects, fungus, bacteria and other things that feed on crops. They are vectors for disease, nuisances, and things that destroy property. They penetrate to the inside of a plant traveling along its absorption path. These toxins work by poisoning the pollen and nectar of flowers and this can kill needed pollinators like butterflies and bees. They can be toxic to humans and lower animals and it can take a small amount of some toxins to kill. Other toxins that are slower acting, may take a long time to cause harm to the human body.
Plants can be genetically engineered to be resistant to pests or herbicides. But in the process, it is causing harm to human health! Learn more about the harmful effects of genetically engineered food here.
Read more about the effects of pesticides here.
To learn about natural pest control, without the use of pesticides click here.