Butternut Squash and Yam Soup Recipe
Makes 2 large bowls
∙ 1 small organic butternut squash
∙ 1 large organic yam
∙ 3 cups of spring water
∙ 1 1/2 inch of organic ginger root (thinly sliced)
∙ 1 organic shallot∙ 2 organic garlic cloves
∙ 2 tbsp of coconut oil (for frying)
∙ Himalayan sea salt∙ organic black pepper
∙ organic ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Peel and chop butternut squash and yam into thin small pieces and place in a loaf pan (see image here).
3. Add a pinch of salt over top, cover and bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes or until softened.
4. In a medium sized pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil and then turn down heat to medium-low.
5. Add ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes (this will be your broth). Remove from heat once ready.
6. In the mean time, chop shallot and garlic. Let sit for 10 minutes.
7. In a small frying pan, add coconut oil and lightly fry shallots and garlic for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
8. Once butternut squash and yam are ready, add to a blender (or container for hand blending) and blend.
9. Discard of ginger from broth and add broth to blender, along with shallot and garlic. Blend again.
10. Add spices, then check for flavor. You can reheat soup if broth has cooled.
11. Once ready, serve and enjoy!Check it out on Fastpaleo.com.