Our latest zucchini pasta recipe that we created was inspired by Citron Limette. Our recipe included eggplant and shiitake mushrooms with a homemade salsa sauce (see recipe below). It required a little more preparation than our Zucchini 'Ravioli', but it is worth trying out if you want to incorporate more raw foods, or are on a grain free diet. Zucchini is a great alternative to pasta and is high in vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and manganese. Give it a try!
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe/Assembly
Makes 4 lasagna slices
Zucchini pasta and filling
∙ 2 medium sized organic zucchinis∙ 2 organic Japanese eggplants
∙ sea salt
∙ organic black pepper
∙ 2 organic leek leaves (chopped and lightly fried with coconut oil)
∙ 1/4 organic fennel bulb (chopped and lightly fried coconut oil)
∙ 1/4 organic red onion (chopped and lightly fried coconut oil)
∙ 4 organic garlic cloves (chopped and lightly fried coconut oil)
∙ 1/2 - 3/4 cup of organic shiitake mushrooms (chopped and lightly fried coconut oil)
∙ a handful of organic Italian parsley
NEW Tomato salsa/sauceFor recipe click here
Directions: (Start with zucchini pasta ingredients)
1. Using a mandoline tool, slice zucchini lengthwise and place slices on a plate. Set aside. (You will need a total of 20 slices - 2 medium sized zucchinis should provide you with that amount.)
2. Using a knife, cut eggplants into pieces (circles) and place on a baking sheet. Add some salt and pepper and bake at low heat for about 5-10 minutes. Once ready, remove from oven and divide into 8 parts. Set aside.3. Place your fried ingredients (leeks, fennel, onions, garlic and mushrooms) in a mixing bowl and mix well to create stuffing. Divide into 8 parts. Set aside.
4. Prepare your tomato sauce and then divide into 4 parts. Set aside.5. On an empty plate place 5 zucchini slices across the plate, overlapping each other.
6. Using a spoon, add 1 part stuffing (of 8) on half the side of the zucchini slices. Then add your eggplant on top of the stuffing. (You will be folding the zucchini slices over, to then start your second layer.)
7. Fold the zucchini layer (slices) that does not have any stuffing on it and then add another 5 zucchinis on top, going across, overlapping each other.
8. Repeat the stuffing process and fold again.
9. Add your sauce on the top of the folded zucchini layer. This should complete the process and you should now have 1 'slice' of zucchini lasagna.
10. Repeat this process 3 more times. You should have an equal amount of stuffing including eggplant and tomato sauce if you divided them into parts at the beginning of this process.
11. Good luck and enjoy!
This recipe can also be cooked and served warm. Simply fry zucchini with coconut oil and heat tomato sauce. Enjoy!