One of our favorite pasta dishes is Fettuccine Alfredo. We had some coconut cream available so we decided to create a dairy-free version of the Alfredo sauce and incorporate it with some zucchini pasta. Although it didn't taste like the Alfredo sauce we were used to, because coconut cream is sweeter as opposed to Parmesan being saltier, the results were still very tasty! It's worth trying out! (See recipe below.) The health benefits of coconuts include fiber, vitamins and minerals. Coconuts are used in modern medicine to kill viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and to kill bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia and other diseases! Enjoy good healthy eating!
Zucchini Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
Ingredients for 'Alfredo' sauce:
∙ 3-4 organic garlic cloves
∙ 1 organic leek leaf
∙ 1 organic shallot
∙ 1-2 cups of organic shiitake mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
∙ a handful of organic cilantro
∙ 1 tbsp of organic white chia seed powder or flax seed meal
∙ 6 tbsp of organic coconut cream
∙ 4 tbsp natural coconut water
∙ 3 tbsp of organic coconut oil (1tbsp for frying)
∙ 1 happy free range egg yolk
∙ sea salt (to taste)
∙ organic black pepper (to taste)
Ingredients for pasta:
∙ 2 large organic zucchinis
1. On a chopping board, chop garlic, leek and shallots. Set aside for 5 -10 minutes.
2. Chop mushrooms. Set aside.
3. In a frying pan, add coconut oil at medium low heat.
4. Lightly fry garlic, leeks, shallots and mushrooms for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
5. Chop cilantro and add to a mixing bowl.
6. Add flax seed meal, coconut cream, coconut water, coconut oil and egg yolk to mixing bowl. Then add mushrooms and onion mix and mix well. The subtle heat from the mushrooms and onions will help mix everything into a sauce texture. Set aside. (You have the option of heating the sauce after you mixed it. We chose not to, so that the zucchini pasta stays cold with live enzymes.)
7. Using a carrot peeler, peel zucchini lengthwise (until you reach the seeds).8. Evenly distribute peels, including skins, to 2 plates. Do not discard of the the skin peels as it holds the most nutrition!
9. Top off pasta with 'Alfredo' sauce
10. Serve and enjoy!